The Works of the Holy Spirit
- We need the Holy Spirit in our lives because we will encounter struggles.
- Humans are limited so we often let people down. But the only One that we can rely on is the Holy Spirit.
- Even Jesus had the Holy Spirit; Jesus did no miracles without the Holy Spirit. He was taught by the Holy Spirit, got help from the Holy Spirit.
- If Jesus needed the Holy Spirit, how can we survive on our own? What is the work of the Holy Spirit?
1. He convicts us of our sins
- John 16:8 – when he comes, he will convict the world about sin, righteousness and judgement
- E.g. when we say something that we’re not supposed to say, the Holy Spirit will convict us
2. He gives us new birth by sowing the seed of God
- John 3:6
- 1 Peter 1:23
- When we share the gospel with someone, sometimes they don’t respond to it straight away
- We shouldn’t be discouraged because it’s our job to share the gospel
- We may not be the person to reap the harvest, but we can sow the seed and then other people will water the seed until it is ready to sow
- We need to experience 2 kinds of birth: flesh (physical birth), and Holy Spirit (birth to the spiritual man – to be born again)
- Spiritual birth is when you accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour and this is when Jesus gives birth to your spiritual person after this
3. He gives us assurance of salvation
- Romans 8:16 – the spirit himself testified together with our spirit that we are God’s children
- Romans 8:15
- God wants us to know that He is our good father
- Don’t listen to the lies the devil says to you, we can rebuke that because in the Bible it says the opposite thing; when we accept Christ we become a child of God
- E.g. story of Nero; he persecuted Christians by releasing the lions on the in the Colosseum but none of them denied Jesus because.
- Romans 14:8
- God gives us assurance that we’re a child of God
4. He indwells us
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – do you not know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you.
- God created our bodies but we fell into sin.
- God comes to us and still wants to buy our body to live in
- Would you want to live in a house that’s rundown? Of course not.
- God still wants to buy our run-down body so he can live in it and be His home forever
- The story of Ezekiel
- God wants to give us jewelry and clothe us and clean us up
5. He put to death the deeds of the flesh
- Romans 8:13 – for if you live according to the flesh, you are going to die.
- Holy Spirit puts to death the bad habits – God won’t heal or do anything in your life until you give your life to Him
- Romans 12:1 6. He sanctifies us
- So we must surrender to the Holy Spirit
- Once we surrender, Holy Spirit will sanctify us and use us
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 – Jesus wants us to share the glory of God in our lives to other people
- E.g. in Australia, we are thankful that we have clean water out of the tap. But if the tap itself isn’t clean, then the water will taste rusty and dirty
7. He transforms us
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 – God will transform us into his likeness however, we need to yield to God
- We become like the people we associate with
- It’s like when couples come together, their personalities and even their appearances will start looking like each other
8. He guides and leads us
- John 16:13
- It is not wrong to ask for your friends advice, but we should go to the Holy Spirit first and ask Him to guide us, lead us and help us
9. He teaches us
- John 14:26
- Holy Spirit is the one that gives us the Holy Spirit
- E.g. if we’re worrying about money? The Holy Spirit will remind us about the below verse; God will provide and remind us
- Philippians 4:19
10. He is our intercessor
- Romans 8:26-27 – Without the help of the Holy Spirit, our prayer will be super short!
11. He seals us
- Ephesians 1:13-14
- Seals were a man’s honorship.
- E.g. when you receive a letter from the king and it has the king’s seal. This is the same as us, we have God’s seal and are under God’s protection once we accept Christ
- God’s seal cannot be broken
- E.g. David lived in a life of adultery with Bathsheba but God was a man after His own heart; God loved him so much
- David quickly asked for forgiveness from God, God forgave him but David had to face the consequences
- God will forgive you but you will have to face the consequences
- The moment that we receive Christ as our Lord and Saviour, God will seal us and we will live under his protection. We need to live under his law.
- When we sin, we open the door to the devil and we have to live with the consequences
12. He empowers us
- Acts 1:8 – but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth